Thanks to Jamie (she also made the little graphics!) for posting this end of year book survey! It’s fun to go back and look and think over what I’ve read throughout the year! I didn’t read as much this year as I did last, but that doesn’t matter. I finally got to some books that I’ve been meaning to read for awhile. As I close off this year of reading and move onto the next; I have to say, I’m so excited for the upcoming year that I hope is filled with lots and lots of books!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
Even though it made me me cry like a little baby (maybe that’s one of the reasons why I actually gave it a five on GoodReads), is “Allegiant” by: Veronica Roth.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More, But Didn’t?
“Requiem” by: Lauren Oliver, hands down. I was somewhat content with the ending, but I still really wanted more. Alex is one of my favorite book guys out there and it just sucked not seeing much of him and even more how him and Lena ended up.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
“Hush, Hush” by: Becca Fitzpatrick! I honestly didn’t think I was going to like it at all, but I loved it. I only ended up giving it a chance, because it was put up for a day for free to read on Simon Teen’s site Pulse It. I can’t wait to get my hands on the rest of the books in the series!
I’d also say “Shatter Me” by: Tahereh Mafi, along with “Incarnate” by: Jodi Meadows. I had no intention of ever reading either of those, but I absolutely loved both of them.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended the most to people in 2013?
“Allegiant” by: Veronica Roth. I will recommend that series to anybody that hasn’t read it.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
There’s two that I’ve discovered this year that I love. The first being the Shatter Me trilogy and the second being the Incarnate trilogy.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Kasie West! I read “Pivot Point” in early December after Jamie reviewed it, because it had been sitting in my Kindle for awhile; and I loved it!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I never really read books about witches/wizards… So, I guess I’d have to same the Harry Potter series. It’s the first time I’m reading them and I just finished the fifth book in the series a tiny bit ago.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
“Allegiant” by: Veronica Roth. I read all 526 in a day. I only put it down to eat, go to the bathroom, and to get my eyes to not be as blurry from sobbing.
9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
“Unravel Me” by: Tahereh Mafi. The last book in the series is coming out in February and I’ll probably re-read it to refresh my memory.
10. Favorite book cover of a book you read in 2013?
This is really difficult! Most of the books I read have really pretty covers! So, here’s a few because I can’t decide.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
It’s a three-way tie between Tris Prior, Tobias Eaton, and Uriah Pedrad. They’re all from the Divergent trilogy.
12. Most beautifully written book in 2013?
“Golden” by: Jessi Kirby.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
“Allegiant” by: Veronica Roth, hands down. No book has ever made me cry. I’m not a crier whatsoever, but I bawled my eyes out reading this book. It just hit me so hard and I mourned over it for a couple weeks. I couldn’t even talk about the book without almost bursting into tears again. It still hurts.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
The Harry Potter series! I wasn’t allowed to read the books when I was growing up, so they kind of just flew off my radar for awhile. I’ve seen all the movies so many times I’ve lost count, but I finally picked up the first book back at the end of September! And I managed to read the first five books for 2013 ended! I plan to start reading the sixth book soon!
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
Oh man, this is a difficult one. I’m a words person, definitely. So, I always pick out quotes and things I love from books. I think I’ll choose one from “Allegiant” though, because that book made me so emotional.
16. Shortest and Longest book you read in 2013?
Shortest: “Mila 2.0: Origins: The Fire” by: Debra Driza
Longest: “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” by: JK Rowling
17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?
“Allegiant” by: Veronica Roth. I was bugging people to read it faster so that I had somebody to talk to it about!
18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013? (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)
There’s such a long list of these. Feel free to ask me what book the relationships are from, because I don’t feel like listing that part too (:
- Tris/Christina (friendship)
- Tris/Tobias (romantic)
- Tris/Uriah (friendship)
- Uriah/Christina (friendship)
- Christina/Tobias (friendship)
- Harry/Ron/Hermione (friendship)
- Addie/Trevor (romantic)
- Julie/Matthew (romantic)
- Aria/Perry (romantic)
- Ana/Sam (romantic)
- Juliette/Adam (romantic)
- Juliette/Kenji (friendship)
- Jude/her dad (family)
19. Favorite book you’ve read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously?
“The Book of Broken Hearts” by: Sarah Ockler.
20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based solely on a recommendation from somebody else?
“Incarnate” by: Jodi Meadows.
21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
Dystopian. It’s my go-to genre!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book that you read in 2013?
Oh man, I have had way too many new fictional crushes this year! But the most recent would have to Trevor from “Pivot Point” by: Kasie West.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I’m pretty sure this is a debut… “Pivot Point” by: Kasie West.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Harry Potter — the first five (the only ones I’ve read this year) have the best imagery. It transports you into that world.
25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
“Harry Potter: Film Wizardry” by: Brian Sibley.
26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
“Allegiant” by: Veronica Roth. There’s absolutely no contest. Only book that made me cry.
27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
“Golden” by: Jessi Kirby.
1. One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will be your number 1 priority in 2014?
“The Book Thief” by: Markus Zusak.
2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
“Ignite Me” by: Tahereh Mafi. I need it now!
3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?
“Prisoner of Night and Fog” by: Anne Blankman.
I honestly read so many series that I don’t read that many debuts But I searched through my GoodReads and this is about the only debut I found that is coming out in 2014, so yeah.
4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?
“Ignite Me” by: Tahereh Mafi!
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading in 2014?
I hope to be able to read more books than I did this year!